Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Terrible Two's, plus a bit more

I think we have finally entered the terrible two's stage of Olivia's life. I've been waiting and waiting for this time to come, and even though I knew it was coming, I still am not prepared for it. Everyone that watches Olivia during the week just brag and brag about how well behaved she is for them. I am very proud of her for this. I just wish that she was as good for us. I'm not gonna lie. Olivia is very VERY well behaved when we go out in public for a two year old. I am usually very happy with her behavior when we go grocery shopping our out to eat. It is the time she spends at home with Ryan and I that she is at her worst!  She struggles to explain to us exactly what she is wanting so when we ask her to repeat herself, she throws a huge fit. Or when she wants to do something that she knows she can't do and we tell her no, she throws a huge fit. Some of her fits have lasted up to 30 minutes!  It is very exhausting when she does this. I am happy though, that she doesn't act that way for others because it is rather embarrassing.

The newest part of the terrible two's is that Olivia has picked up a few curse words. I am not going to sit here and claim that Ryan and I are innocent and she didn't hear some of them from us, but I know she hears them from one person in her life. I will say what she said Sunday night, I know she didn't hear from either of us!  The first time I heard her curse was actually last Wednesday night when my dad (papa jim) and brother (uncle bubba) came over for a visit. She was doing something at her table and when whatever she was doing didn't go right, she said, "What the Hell?!?"  We told her that she couldn't say that but could say what the heck.  Well, now I am not so sure about that either and last night I started telling her she could say what in the world. I think that sounds much better than heck or hell. 

Then Sunday evening is when she let the real curse words she knows come out. She dropped the F-bomb!  The first time she was looking at a book of Ryan's that doesn't have any pictures in it. Ryan was hanging up clothes and wasn't talking to her and all of a sudden she says, "This is F****** stupid!"  I asked her what she said and she told me she didn't know. I then told her that she cannot say that and that it isn't okay, but I didn't want to repeat the F-word to her because was afraid she would repeat it. Later that night, she was jumping on her mattress (which is on our floor because she won't sleep in her room), and she fell off almost hitting her head on our bed frame. When I told her to stop because she could get hurt, she did it again. Then I told her that was her last warning or she was getting time out and she looked at me and said, "Are you F****** kidding me?!?"  I immediately gasped and sat her on the bed for a long talk. Again, I didn't want to repeat the F-word to her so I just said that it is not nice to use curse words and when she does that it makes mommy and daddy sad. Then I went through the list of all the family (mommy, daddy, papa jim, pam, uncle bubba, granny, papa dale, sissy, emily, uncle kenny, aunt darleen, mama tammy, papa craig, grandma monica, tiffy, paige, mama jaci, papa bob, nunu, johnny, and jenny)  and how it makes them so sad when she uses curse words. I had her bawling by the time I was done talking because she didn't want her family to be sad. She has not used the f-word since Sunday, so I am thinking that I may have gotten through to her. I just hope that I can break her of using any curse words before she says something in public!

The weather is supposed to get hot again for a few days, so stay cool!!

1 comment: